Wednesday 22 July 2009

Christian Slater – Discovering a True Talent


I recently wrote a piece on Squidoo about the life and work of Christian Slater which you can access here http://www.squidoo.com/Christian-Slater since seeing his brand new TV series “My Own Worst Enemy”, and being very impressed by his performance.

While researching this piece I realised that although I had always liked what I saw of his work, I had only just scratched the surface. As I was looking to update this lens, I decided to watch some more of his films. I discussed this with my partner, whose opinion of him was that he ALWAYS played the “bad guy” in movies! Therefore, I searched out movies to see whether this was really the case (although he was always very good at this).

I am now working through his past films, and discovering that not only is he NOT always the bad guy, but regardless of the character he plays, he is a much, much better actor than I have previously given him credit for (sorry Christian for not noticing this before!).

Also, I have heard that he has more recently become notable as a stunning stage actor, consistently receiving a standing ovation on the West End stage as Randall P McMurphy in the classic “One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest” (the role Jack Nicolson played in the film version). This is a performance I wish I could have seen!

These are the performances I have seen and can recommend so far:

Bed of Roses (1996) – Review pending
Very Bad Things (1998) – Review pending
Untamed Heart (1993) – Already reviewed
He Was a Quiet Man (2007) – Already reviewed
My Own Worst Enemy (2008) (TV) – see link below: http://www.squidoo.com/My-Own-Worst-Enemy
Young Guns II (1990) – Not yet reviewed
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves – Not yet reviewed

Christian Slater is fast becoming one of my favourite actors. However, there are still so many more Christian Slater movies out there to see, and I hear he is also due to return to TV shortly in the brand new drama series “The Forgotten”.

Keep an eye on this blog and my Squidoo lens http://www.squidoo.com/Christian-Slater as I shall be updating both as I find more amazing performances and news to tell all the many Christian Slater fans out there!

If you know an actor/ actress whose work really deserves watching, or a movie that really deserves to be seen and reviewed, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment